Thursday, February 10, 2011

It's a full-time job!!

This is a real conversation. Names have been changed to save the ignorant from embarassment.

Guy: So, what do you do?
Me: I'm an actor.
Guy: Oh. Well, what do you do for a real job?
Me: Ummm, I'm an actor. That is my full-time job.
Guy: So you're unemployed? ha...ha...
Me: No, I actually work every day. Like I said, it's my full-time job.
Guy: Your husband must have a great job to allow you to do nothing all day.
Me: (What I wanted to say) Okay, GUY! I work and I work EVERYDAY. I audition for different roles at least twice a week and have to do research and PREPARE for each audition. Just so you know, an audition is like a job interview, imagine the adrenaline and nerves you feel for that interview three times a week every week. In addition to auditioning, I also record voice overs for radio and television ads (which I get paid for). There's also a theatre group that I perform with and have six plays memorized with them (which I also get paid for)....I also work at the hospital as a standardized patient and have to learn different characters and scenarios for each and every one of those. So I work and get paid....it's a full-time job.
Me: (What I actually said) Yeah, my husband is very supportive.

No comments:

Post a Comment